Sunday 5 April 2015

Day 14 - Fashion on Film, Dior



Yesterday I went to the Barbican in London to see a showing of Dior & I, armed with a camera with no battery, (I know, not my finest moment). If you've never been to the Barbican it's this huge 1960's complex in the City of London (mostly banks and offices just east of the main tourist bit) dedicated to the arts. Fashion, music, installation, film, education and art events are shown year round and I thought it would be the best place to see a cultural film like this. 

Dior & I follows Raf Simons as he makes the move from ready-to-wear at minimalist brand Jil Sander to the feminine extravagance of couture Dior, and the design and production of his first collection which has a deadline of 8 weeks, only a fraction of the amount of time usually taken to create a show of this calibre. 

I'll get my only negative out of the way first, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this film to anybody with dyslexia as fair proportion was French with English subtitles that were on the screen so briefly that I couldn't read and watch at the same time, which I found frustrating.

I felt that the film captured so many of the struggles and joys that come with the work openly and honestly. The language barriers, the roles of different employees within the house, the extra hours which have to be pulled to get garments ready for shows, the history of the house and being a newcomer in such an established atelier. There was a large focus on the seamstresses producing the toiles in the ateliers which I found fascinating, it's wonderful that such skill remains in such a fast fashion world.

I don't want to use the term "character" as he is a real man, but I found the personal story of Raf Simons fascinating. Shy and anxious at times yet still dedicated and determined to do the best to fill the shoes left for him. The contrast between this man and some of the fierce or extraverted personalities which are often depicted in fashion is very evident, he seemed almost, and I'm scared to say it, normal and likeable.

Most importantly however it was inspiring. Simons repeated a number of times how excited he is for the future, which is just such a good attitude to have. Learn from the past but always be looking forward. The workmanship and level of perfection on the clothing was just phenomenal, and the finished garments themselves were stunning. Although perhaps that goes without saying - it is Dior after all.


Find showings where you live here:
http://www.diorandimovie.com/screenings/

No comments:

Post a Comment