Friday 20 March 2015

Mission Statement

I am a fashion student, sort of. I'm a Londoner studying contour fashion at De Montfort University in Leicester, England. But I don't look like it.

I was brought up in a house which hasn't been decorated since the early 80's, in clothes from charity shops, Woolworth's and when Mum was feeling fancy, Primark. Clothes were necessities, an inconvenience. 14 pairs of knickers, 7 T-shirts, 3-4 leggings or jeans, 1 pair each of good, muddy and school shoes and 1 set of fancy clothes to wear to parties. When I got older I learnt that white T-shirt bras were the only ones worth buying and you only needed 2. "You're not going on a fashion parade" was used as liberally as any catchphrase, and if I wanted to spend time putting my hair into plaits or putting on lipgloss I was told it was pointless and that I was wasting time.

It's easy to see then, the origins of the conflict in my head. On top of being an overthinker anyway... Well it all makes shopping a very stressful experience. I used to know what I liked and ignore it due to lack of funds, but I managed to switch off that desire for things so effectively that I don't even know what I like any more. Yet I still chose a fashion course because I knew that I was interested and it was something that I wanted, I just wasn't quite there yet.

So this is why I want to get back into blogging again. I need to open up the creative side of my life again, through art, fashion, illustration, colour; I need to experiment. At the end of the day, if I wear a train wreck it really doesn't matter, but if I spend another day wearing the same clothes that I have for the last 2 years I might just go mad.

I'd like to formally invite you on my journey. My goal is to do or document something creative each day, reawaken the right side of my brain. Hopefully by the time I start the second year of uni in October it will all be habit, and I can look back at the days of jeans-and-a-shirt and give a wistful sigh, thankful that I've got my mojo back.

No comments:

Post a Comment